"There are two types of content.The first is content to be consumed, and the second is content to be communicated," BuzzFeed Motion Pictures VP Jonathan Perelman.
- Storytelling is an effective way to share ideas, facts and to persuade. This can link storytelling closely to journalism where writers want to reach their audience, persuade their readers, and reach deep emotional levels with their followers.
- This can link storytelling closely to journalism where writers want to reach their audience, persuade their readers, and reach deep emotional levels with their followers.
- Journalists who create stories may leave out facts in order to fill their space with emotion. This leads many people to disregard these articles for columns they believe are more fact based.
- This type of journalism puts the power of the writing into the hands of the people in the community.
- Storytelling can bring forward community efforts as well as activism into a type of journalism that can educate and highlight community members.
Specific Focus: How BuzzFeed is using storytelling through branded video content
- The new "Golden Age" of storytelling
- The age of disruptive ads is coming to an end, and models like BuzzFeed are the future of advertising.
- BuzzFeed videos have more of a reach through social media than through native advertising on the site itself does
- BuzzFeed focuses on understanding their audience and making their content shareable specifically through their videos
- Working with brands they learn the brand message and combine their own forms of storytelling to create popular and viral sharable content
- “Video is a huge, mega-trend, and the fact that it’s being viewed on mobile at such a high rate and being shared at a high rate aligns all these things together,” BuzzFeed Founder and CEO Jonah Peretti said in the Fortune magazine article.
- BuzzFeed is launching a new partnership program to empower leading social storytelling agencies with expanded training, tools, and support on the BuzzFeed publishing platform
- Brands need to focus on brining value to their customer
- BuzzFeed is thought to be pioneering the social age of communication
- They have the platform to create new conversations that make sense now in our world as well as the impact on the way conversations will happen in the future
- “BuzzFeed empowers our brand to be a leading storyteller online, and we can deliver relevant content where people are spending time,” added Gina Squara, Director, Digital, at Del Monte Foods.Questions:1. Do BuzzFeed branded videos create a lasting impact and resonate more with consumer communities than traditional forms of advertising such as television commercials?2. Do these videos create a unique story? Does BuzzFeed only cater to the brand message alone , or are they telling their own stories as well?Sources:https://www.americanpressinstitute.org/journalism-essentials/organize-story/8-paths-defining-storytelling-approach/http://greenbuzzagency.com/buzzfeeds-video-strategy-lessons-in-social-storytelling/https://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpress/buzzfeed-launches-social-storytelling-creator-program?utm_term=.flQADDoEZ#.egJYNNL8whttps://mediablog.prnewswire.com/2014/10/30/6-digital-storytelling-tips-from-buzzfeed-social-media-club-nyc/http://www.ishmaelscorner.com/a-peek-behind-the-buzzfeed-curtain/